Welcome from Mike Simmons, Principal
Dear Athens City Middle School Family:
Welcome to Athens City Middle School and the 2022-2023 school year. This is our twelfth year as a middle school since we transitioned from Athens Junior High School. It is the responsibility of all students, parents, and guardians to become familiar with the handbook's contents. Please review it carefully, and if you have questions concerning its contents, please do not hesitate to contact an administrator, instructional coach, teacher, and/or guidance counselor.
We consider it a privilege to work in this exceptional school system. Our mission is to provide a quality learning experience which effectively meets the needs of all our students. We have high expectations within the context of a rigorous curriculum. At the same time, we offer numerous opportunities for students to become active participants in a wide range of co-curricular offerings and activities. As we get to know and support each learner, we do whatever is needed to ensure a quality learning experience. By working closely with parents and our community, we strive to build a partnership that creates a school culture promoting the success of all students. Please do not hesitate to contact us at (423) 745-1177.
Expecting the best,
Mr. Mike Simmons, Principal
Dr. Trey Ivins, Assistant Principal
Ms. Dawn Martin, Instructional Coach
Mrs. Roxanne Dingess, Guidance Counselor
Our mission is to provide for individual and collective student needs while enabling mastery of academic skills at high levels of proficiency necessary to become healthy and productive citizens.
The Athens City Middle School learning community will aspire to promote individual and collective personal, interpersonal, academic, and technical success in our constantly evolving society.
- In student learning as the chief priority for the school.
- In providing instructional approaches that incorporate a variety of curriculum-based activities and accommodating for differences in learning styles.
- In the ongoing assessment of student progress through formal and informal evaluation of essential knowledge and skills.
- In developing competent decision-makers through active engagements in the learning process which emphasizes problem-solving skills and the production of quality work.
- In teacher, administrators, parents, and the community sharing the responsibility for policy development that enhances positive relationships and mutual respect among stakeholders.
- In the uniqueness of each student and the importance of providing special services and resources, as needed, to ensure appropriate opportunities for success.
Athens City Middle School