Welcome from Mike Simmons, Principal
Welcome to Athens City Middle School and the 2019-2020 school year. This is our ninth year as a middle school since we transitioned from a junior high school. Included on this website is our student handbook which provides important dates and general information to assist you in achieving success throughout the year. It is the responsibility of all students, parents, and guardians to become familiar with the handbook's contents. Please review it carefully, and if you have questions concerning its contents, please do not hesitate ask to contact an administrator, teacher, or our guidance counselor. We consider it a privilege to work in this exceptional school system. Our mission is to provide a quality learning experience which effectively meet the needs of all our students. We have high expectations within the context of a rigorous curriculum. At the same time, we offer numerous opportunities for students to become active participants in a wide range of co-curricular offerings and activities. As we get to know and support each learner, we do whatever is needed to ensure a quality learning experience. By working closely with parents and community, we strive to build a partnership that creates a school community promoting the success of all students. We are confident that we can and will provide what is needed for a successful and challenging school year. Our administration, faculty and staff are fully committed to do our best as we expect the best throughout the year. We welcome guests to our school, and if you are interested in visiting, please call our office at 423-745-1177. For directions to ACMS, scroll to the bottom of this page and enter your address.
Expecting the best,
Mike M. Simmons, Principal
Justin Wallace, Assistant Principal
Our mission is to provide for individual and collective student needs while enabling mastery of academic skills at high levels of proficiency necessary to become healthy and productive citizens.
The Athens City Middle School learning community will aspire to promote individual and collective personal, interpersonal, academic, and technical success in our constantly evolving society.
- In Student learning as the chief priority for the school.
- In providing instructional approaches that incorporate a variety of curriculum-based activies and accommodating for differences in learning styles.
- In the ongoing assessment of student progress through formal and informal evaluation of essential knowledge and skills.
- In developing competent decision-makers through active engagements in the learning process which emphasizes problem-solving skills and the production of quality work.
- In teacher, administrators, parents, and the community sharing the responsibility for policy development that enhances positive relationships and mutual respect among stakeholders.
- In the uniqueness of each student and the importance of providing special services and resources, as needed, to ensure appropriate opportunities for success.